People Helping People

In my Humanities course, Endurance, we just finished our first unit. Throughout the past couple of weeks our class has focused on what both mental and physical endurance is, as well as how important they both can be as a life's mission. For this Action Project, we had to think of what we want our ideal life to look like 50 years from now and what we've accomplished during that span of time. I actually really enjoyed spending time on this project because it helped guide me for what I actually would like to do in life.

People Helping People

People Helping People, Clipart (2016).

Chapter One: Importance in Life
I am fifty years old, and living the life I never thought I’d live. I never had a clear idea of what I wanted to do after high school but I always knew whatever it was I wanted to do something that made a difference and helped people. After attending plenty of therapy myself, I remember thinking what’d it’d be like to become a therapist. In my junior year of highschool I was enrolled by my parents into a residential treatment center for all girls. I spent that whole year in Utah, away from all my family and friends. Throughout this year I made huge changes in myself and most importantly, I learned the importance of being there for others. One thing that has always stuck with me as a person has been my loyalty to those I love and care about. I have never been interested in creating drama between people. I was always the person that got really mad when I saw something I didn’t think was right.

Chapter Two: The Journey

While I was in Utah, I became really inspired by the staff/counselors that worked with us. I saw that they had a lot of dedication towards helping better other people’s lives. I distinctly remember repeatedly asking the staff why they work there, and they would all say because it’s rewarding to know that you’ve impacted someone’s life in a positive way. Even though the environment was chaotic and stressful at times, it was almost like a family. Everyone there would help eachother out. I could tell the staff actually enjoyed their job and wanted to come to work.

Throughout the time I spent there I was able to overcome and develop a lot of mental endurance. I think the first thing was being away from the main people in my life. Throughout this year I had made huge changes in myself and most importantly, I learned the importance of being there for others. I think there’s been many times that i’ve helped someone in ways that I most likely will never know the impact it had on the other person. My parents taught me from a young age to be kind to everyone around you.

After I graduated high school I took a gap year to travel and get my life together. I used this time to road trip across the US living out of a van. This experience allowed me to learn a lot about myself and the country that I live in. It was really valuable to talk to different people from so many different places. I see myself as a very observant person and while having different conversations with such a wide range of people I picked up on a lot of different ways that people think and communicate and I found it really interesting. I talked to many people that heard my plan of a gap year and took it as I wasn’t going to go back to school. That year was the time I needed to figure out what I really wanted to do and what kind of a person I wanted to be.

I always had the idea in my head, but never imagined myself actually doing it. I would think about my own life and wonder how I could possibly help other people when I’m still figuring out how to live life. I finally decided on psychology because I knew this field was something I could see myself being passionate about. Psychology was not only inspired by what I went through in my own life, but also driven by the skills I learned at GCE, where I was able to learn about community and bettering the world around me.

After a long pretentious four years of attending the University of Iowa, I finally received my bachelors degree in psychology that I had been working so hard to get. As soon as college was over I got an internship through a friend that also wanted to become a therapist. Throughout the year I was an intern, I worked with kids ages 10-13. It was exhausting at first. It was a skill I had to learn as a therapist to not let the things I was told to affect me personally.

Chapter Three: The Calling

In 2024, I officially began my practice as a therapist. I had my own office in the city and slowly gained more clients as more people started hearing about me. I enjoyed working with people but after about a year, I knew I wanted to do more. I hadn’t liked sitting in a boring office. That’s when I decided to do something different.

In 2025, I made the bold decision to stop working as a therapist and I started my own organization called, “Be a good person”. I traveled around the world again going to school assemblies and sharing my life story that seemed to inspire a lot of other people. My main goal throughout all of this was to at least help one person. At 50 years old, I no longer want to travel as much, but I still run the organization. I meet with others around the world that want to share their story.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A School Shooting In North Suburbs

Fruitvale Station

What Is The Meaning Of Life?